Past Organists:

John Woffington 1752 - 1758

Woffington was appointed 14 May 1752 at Armagh according to Cotton but he may not have taken up his appointment. He had previously been organist of St Werburgh's (1720-23), St John's Fisharnble Street (1723-25) and St Michan's, Dublin ( 1725-57). When he arrived at Armagh he inserted an advertisement in the then biweekly Belfast Newsletter running for seventeen issues in May and June 1758 advertising harpsichord and spinnet lessons and stating that he had been a pupil of Dr Croft at the chapel royal, St James' Westminster. He died in 1758. There appear to have been at least six John Woffingtons in Dublin in the eighteenth century, and it has not been possible to distinguish between their careers. Indeed it is even possible that two individuals with the same name were organists at Armagh between 1752 and 1758.

Back to Past Organists page