Past Organists:

George Henry Phillips Hewson MA, MUSD, FRCO 1916 - 1920

Born Dublin 1881, died Dublin November 1972. Hewson became a chorister in St Patrick's Cathedral Dublin in 1889 and was later sub-organist there. He was educated at Trinity College, Dublin, taking the degrees of MusB (1903), BA (1905), MusD (1914), and MA (1928).VII In 1907 he became organist of the Chapel Royal, Dublin Castle, later moving to Armagh Cathedral where he was appointed by minute of the Cathedral Board dated 23 November 1916. His stay at Armagh was short, as he was to return to his home city less than four years later to take up his appointment as organist and choirmaster of St Patrick's, in succession to Dr C G Marchant

The Cathedral Board recorded his resignation on 5 March 1920. By 1921 he was Professor of the Organ at the Royal Irish Academy of Music. III In 1927 he accepted the post of organist and choirmaster of Trinity College in addition to his other duties. In 1935 he became Professor of Music in the University of Dublin (Trinity College) in succession to C H Kitson. He resigned as organist of St Patrick's and Trinity College in 1960, but he retained the chair of music until 1962. In that year, to mark his long association with the College, he was elected an honorary fellow. Hewson was also an honorary FRCO.

He was highly esteemed in Dublin where his music is still regularly performed at St Patrick's Cathedral. The choir library there holds three of his anthems, a Te Deum in E, a Communion Service in G minor, and three settings of the Magnificat and Nunc Dirnittis (two of them for men's voices). VI He also arranged/harmonised a number of Irish hymns.

Back to Past Organists page