Saturday 9 and Sunday 10 September 2017

This year Northern Ireland will mark twenty years of European Heritage Open
Days (EHOD), and the Hill of Armagh will have contributed to seventeen of them. Armagh Robinson Library and No 5 Vicars’ Hill will open during the day on Saturday 9 September and the Sunday afternoon. St Patrick’s Church of
Ireland Cathedral will be open on both days, free of charge. Visitors will also
be welcome to attend the Sunday services.

On the Saturday of EHOD, all three places on the Hill will offer free guided
tours, lasting thirty minutes in each place, and at separate times, to allow
visitors to join all they wish. As part of the Cathedral tours, visitors will have
the opportunity to see the crypt, its thirteenth century foundations, and the
burial place of former archbishops. No 5 Vicars’ Hill, designed to look like a
dwelling house, was the registry for church and civic records for hundreds of
years. The guided tours will refer to No 5’s architecture, its original use and
what is now held in the 1772 building.

The third tour, in Armagh Robinson Library, formerly Armagh Public Library,
will tell visitors about the original building, changes made to it over the years, and the collections which it holds. The Library’s founder, Archbishop Richard Robinson, paid for the 1771 building to be built and gave the Library many of its collections, including books, manuscripts, coins, prints and gems. The
current temporary exhibition shows accounts of travel over three centuries
and includes adventurous travel books, practical guidebooks and reflections
on meeting new people.

There will be activities for children during their visit to the Hill of Armagh,
including a special tour of the Cathedral on the Saturday, touch screen
quizzes in No 5, and treasure hunts in the Library. The latter two buildings will
have toys and books for under fives to enjoy, as part of the ‘Playful Museums’
initiative.

The Dean of Armagh and the Keeper of Armagh Public Library, the Very Revd
Gregory Dunstan said: “The Hill of Armagh was once a steep-sided little
place, standing out among the drumlins of County Armagh. From it, you would have seen the length of the Sperrins. Ever since the foundation of the first monastery, centuries of building have changed all that, but the Hill is still
the heart of the city that traces its origin to St Patrick.”

Information on all the buildings open for EHOD can be found on
www.discovernorthernireland.com/ehod

-->